Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

what's your number?



Numbers play an important part in our lives; guiding our days, weeks, months, and years.  They also tell us lots of other things like our age, cholesterol count :(, weight, and size!!!



While talking about our next blog entry, a follow-up on our “dress me up with my love” post, Tata asked me a simple question.  “Why did you decide to have a dress made this time, instead of buying one like you usually do?” The answer was easy.  I told her that this time, I wanted a dress that was made to fit me, instead of my trying to fit into a dress. I didn’t want to carry several sizes into the dressing room to see which one would look best on me.  I didn’t want to guess if I was a size 6, 8, or 10. I just wanted to be my size.



I also wanted expert advice on how to dress for my shape.  Here are the top 3 things I learned from this experience:



1.  Separates rock! 2 pieces are better than 1!

2.  Create a figure 8! Emphasize my waistline.

3.  Accentuate the positive! Show off my 2 best features: my shoulders and collarbone.

The dress is shaping up to be just as I had imagined.  And as luck would have it, the color we chose for my skirt matched the dress code color card (a new wedding trend?) that was sent together with the wedding invite.
    


Richie's sketch for my outfit :)


Looking forward to wearing this dress 2 times on the following dates: 11.27.12 and 12.21.12!

anna


4...3...2...1...



For some, a tattered 40-year-old gown might equate to junk that should be cleared out. In my sister’s case, it boiled down to a potential profit of 100 bucks at a garage sale. Luckily, I dropped by said garage sale and for 0 pesos (also known as theft), and with a panicked survivor’s instinct, I rescued my mom’s castoff gown from the 1970s.



Yes, I saw the cloth was torn and frayed in many parts, but I also saw that it had once been very beautiful. And as I slipped it on, I was surprised to discover that it fit me to a T, just as though it had been made to measure. All it needed was some TLC. So I tagged along with Anna and asked Richie if she could work her magic.








When Richie oohed over the crinkled silk and floaty design, I knew my mother’s gown was in good hands—and that it could reach its version 2.0 in the care of someone who saw what I saw: a sentimental bit of style that was dusty, damaged, and priceless.





tata

    


2 comments:

  1. Nice! Don't forget to post the final product :) I'm sure they will both be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ,Fong! Check out tata&anna on facebook -- Anna wore her dress already :) Can't wait to see mine!

    ReplyDelete