Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

the 12 ways of christmas (part 1)


While we really wish we had the Ellen Degeneres-type capability to shower you all with a bonanza of gifts we, well, don't. So instead, allow us to help you get into the spirit of the season by sharing the little traditions our friends turn to during the most wonderful time of the year. Here goes Part 1 of our 12 Ways of Christmas...

#1 celebrate in style  I love entertaining at home. There's something naturally cathartic about thinking of a color scheme, setting the table, getting the best cake possible and trying something new. Another reason why Christmas is special is that friends come home from abroad, which makes coming together even more poignant. I once hosted dinner for a best friend who had turned vegan. What others might see as difficult to pull off was actually fun—and I loved the food, too! I also finally got to use some gold lattice napkin holders from a home store in Singapore, new blue plates I discovered at my suki store, and an idea to use corks for place holders. I just love how everything, and everyone, comes together when I entertain for the holidays. – Naynay Montilla



#2 blend traditions  Since I got married, the one sure thing about Christmas in my place is on December 24th, when my wife’s family comes over for lunch. They bring tamales and broas from their hometown of Sariaya, Quezon and we enjoy them for merienda at around 5 pm  (after my home-cooked lunch) with coffee or tea. Being the only "outsider", I eat this with banana ketchup (it's a Yulo thing) and freak everyone out in the process. This year, I plan to buy some CaviteƱo tamales and stage a "showdown" just for fun. December, by the way, is the only time I ever see these treats so they’re now one of my markers for the season. – JJ Yulo, Pinoy Eats World 




#3 dress the part    Though we don't have any formal traditions when it comes to dressing for the holidays, we are making new ones as we go. Lately I like dressing my family in thematic (but not identical!) outfits since the coordinated clothes look great in photos. This snapshot was taken on Christmas Eve. At the time, I was designing the outfits for my high school reunion. We had a back and white color scheme—and I decided to go with the same idea for my family.  In fact, the bolero of my youngest daughter was just made from retaso! – Michi Calica Sotto, fashion designer



#4 remember those you love  My husband, two sons, and I have been living away for a total of eight years. Though it would be ideal if we came home each year to celebrate, there have been times where we've spent Christmas in our host country instead. While we miss the warmth of getting together with extended family, we've enjoyed having to make new traditions for ourselves, and we also relish the quiet and the chance to spend time with friends that have become family to us. The first time we spent Christmas away from Manila we decorated our tree with Christmas balls. Each ball had the name of a family member or friend that we would have surely seen were we in Manila that year. We called it the "family and friends tree" and it’s since become a tradition of sorts. After years of living in different places, it now it feels like we take a part of where we’ve been with us, and everywhere we celebrate Christmas is home. – Dana Coscio-Mercado




No comments:

Post a Comment