Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

the 12 ways of christmas (part 3)


And now for the third and final installment of our 12 Ways of Christmas entry. May these stories help make your holidays extra merry and bright...


#9 make merry with music One December many moons ago, some friends and I were goofing around and singing. We realized we actually sounded pretty good and came up with the brilliant idea of knocking on the neighbors' doors to see if they would let us carol, old school-style. I don't know if they were bored or if it was a more innocent time, but we were welcomed. We performed and were gratified to have given our audiences pleasure through our music. I still remember the feeling of gratitude at seeing the pleased responses, the warmth of experiencing this with dear friends, and the sheer joy of singing just because we loved to and wanted to share that love. In the last several years, Christmas caroling has become a more structured (but no less fun) endeavor. I rehearse with fellow theater performers and our engagements are booked in advance. My nearly-four-year-old son occasionally watches these rehearsals  and I am more than thrilled that he shares my love of music. Just last week, I cheered him on at his preschool's Christmas program where he sang out with gusto! Whether in a more formal setting or otherwise, music will always be a special and important part of my Christmas. – Teenee Chan



#10 welcome the Christ Child One of my family’s favorite traditions is actually an Advent tradition that helps us prepare for Christmas. It’s called The Jesse Tree Devotion. We love how this activity focuses on the true gift of togetherness, the gift of His word, the gift of family, and ultimately, the gift of Baby Jesus born into the world. Our whole family participates by hanging up beautiful, hand- made ornaments (from the Mano Amiga in Taguig). These ornaments represent Bible stories we read and reflect on. The Jesse Tree actually comes with a guidebook (in digital format!) and the kids love matching the images of the ornaments with the ones on the computer screen. As we pray and discuss things as a family, my husband and I get to know more about what our kids are feeling, and it’s also a great chance for us to teach them about certain values. Our kids actually scream with glee when it’s Jesse Tree time! And it's really such a golden moment when we listen to each other's answers to the reflection question of the day. Sometimes we laugh at the replies, but other times, my husband and I are simply awed and humbled by the simple truth and wisdom that comes from the mouths of babes. – Buding Aquino-Dee




#11 wax nostalgic Christmas in a non-Christian country like  Singapore can be rather commercialized and lacking in spirit. Sure they've got the season's decor in the malls, but in the heartlands where I live it’s business as usual. To feel that yuletide glow I go back—way back—to my roots. When he was alive, my father used to play old Christmas carols on the stereo. These were sung by old-timer stars like Sinatra, Crosby, Armstrong and Martin. I bumped into a "Christmas Crooners" CD some years ago, and was delighted to find these same songs in one album. Come December it’s what we play here at night (you can even hear the needle scratches from the original records they recorded). Mixed with a cool wind and the glow of twinkling lights, these tunes bring me back to those happy family reunions in the motherland. The effect is nostalgic—and to me, truly Christmassy :) – Lester Ledesma




#12 slip away While I do enjoy all the Yuletide festivities (from big bashes to the token round of ice skating), Christmas for me is also about stealing some pockets of time away from all the holiday madness. Whether it’s for a few hours or a long weekend, this quiet time is invaluable, helping me find perspective and appreciate the beauty of my surroundings. This year, before the holiday really kicked into gear, I hied off to Aruba for some yoga and relaxation. There, I had four days to reflect on the year and discover paddleboard yoga! How wonderful to experience what can only be found when you're not rushing to check one more thing off your Christmas to-do list. Then on an evening back in New York, I decided to walk home from a holiday gathering. It was snowing lightly, and late enough for the tourists to have retreated indoors. I noticed on the corner of 5th avenue and 54th street a saxophonist playing such stirring and soulful jazz music. Other than a couple rushing off, he was alone on that corner pouring his heart into his song. I don't think he even cared if anyone was listening. I stood back and watched from across the street for a good long while, grateful for that beautiful Christmas moment. – Ani Payumo

Thank you so much to Naynay, JJ, Michi, Dana, Cay, Mia, Chinggay, Garch, Teenee, Buding, Lester, and Ani for helping us make our three-part holiday entry truly special. If there's something we were more than happy to confirm, it's that there is no one way to celebrate the season. And it really all comes down to what brings the most joy and grace into the lives of you and your loved ones.

From our hearts to yours, Merry Christmas!!!

tata & anna


To view Parts 1 and 2 click here:








2 comments:

  1. Tata & Anna, I enjoyed reading the series - all 3 of them. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. The new year is just around the corner...all the best to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Fong! Hope your holiday season was filled with lots of blessings :) Here's to an awesome 2013!!! <3, tata

      Delete